Saturday, May 2, 2020

Accident

Many years ago, for a considerable portion of time, I was a long haul trucker.  Now in my retirement I am trying to give some attention to reading, re-reading, editing and organizing a whole bunch of incidents, thoughts, and stories I wrote during those wide open highway years.  I happened upon this one, amazingly similar in theme to the last blog I posted but a week ago (The Need to Die, April 23, 2020).  Written seventeen years ago, and a totally different occasion, it seems to me my thinker still processes things in a similar way. Similar theme, yes?


July 1, 2003
                                                   ACCIDENT
  
There are occasions that absolutely demand I pull laptop off the top shelf and use it to full convenience - like right now.  Trucking mostly means go go, keep that load-a-moving, no time for creative writing!  Now I have time!  Here I sit in a humongous highway back-up - apparently an accident up ahead.

What to do when you can't go!  I suppose I could pull the Bible out, but that would mean I’d need to give it some attention. Okay I'll just confess the commoners reason for lack of Bible reading. So often when I have a few minutes to read or write the beginning impetus is a magazine or newspaper which grabs your attention, or an idea percolating in your head which just must be written down right now; i.e. the momentary stimulus must be grabbed or at least recorded.  Seemingly that’s more important than starting with a blank mind which might be available for whatever the Bible might offer.  At any rate oft-times there is a reason why it simply is more important or opportune to do something else!  To whit this occasion.  Sorry Bible; I’ll read you tonight.

Now to the accident, the reason for my sitting here.  The CB rumor mill says 4 or 5 hours wait, a five car pile-up and apparently two dead.  This is grim information.  Fascinating though, the conversations start and then on and on about who or what type of idiot weekend driver probably caused it, how long it’s going to take, and whether or not there is parking space at a truck stop which just happens to be in proximity, just beyond the accident scene.  The thoughts about lives ended and likely personal trauma are not talked about (although each person in this line-up probably has some private thoughts about this).  We are a people of deflection.  Many times we talk about that which is superfluous.  Why is this the case, when in actual fact many of us would probably be relieved to enter into conversation about LIFE even with a stranger?

As the weekend travelers spill out of vehicles to stretch, chat, smoke or eat it must be noted that suddenly we are all people - big, little, fat, fit, pretty or ugly.  Suddenly we are all together standing at the roadside, rather than competing vehicles hurtling down the highway – very likely the cause of the accident which has brought about this occasion.

Without bringing this to any profound (or otherwise!) conclusion, I simply end this by noting; maybe we should think more respectfully at all times of the inhabitants of the thousands of vehicles we meet.  Then maybe, just maybe we would have fewer accidents.  I think it’s time to go read my Bible! 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment