Friday, August 13, 2021

When a Church Gets Trashed

So I've been writing stridently, as I am wont to.  Apparently the one about "Where have all the Churches Gone" (July 29) was a hit - at least many of you said so. Thank you for the kind responses. The next post about church fundraising going to Go-Fund-Me's obviously is not a hit, at least not by the silence and the considerably smaller number of responses. I know I know, there are those who generally agree with my take on things, and also those who do not. I feel that sizzle from some of you! Thanks all for indulging me. 😐  Upon rereading this latest post, however, I've got to say I still agree exactly with what I wrote, also still quite akin to my high-octane lifestyle critique of May 10 ("Good-Lifers," also now available in spoken word, just for those of you who don't like to read). I am grateful to say, however, that now I can add a further vantage which had been slipping away.

It is the vantage of grace. Yes, you have read about that too - sometimes as closing clinchers to drive home the point - especially to all of us anxious workaholics! This time, however, it is what I would call situational grace - right before my eyes and straight to the depths of my soul. It's an occasion provided for me simply by reading. The latest issue of our Canadian Mennonite has a front page article, "Former Mennonite church building Vandalized" (July 19, p.16). I am surprised at my emotional response to this article. Firstly the indignation at boredom, those "undisciplined kids" who know not what to do with their time. I'm reminded of one of my dad's sayings, "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." Secondly, regarding my assertion in the July 29 post that buildings are not the church. I fully believe that still, but here find myself moved at the noble ongoing presence of an old clapboard building, the Horse Lake Church, closed down and still standing with unlocked doors, even a piano available for a lonely sentimental musician to come and play, some benches to pray, and a guest book. What a gift! That building obviously was a genuine presence in a rural community probably also containing a Catholic, several ecumenical, and a few evangelical or non-denominational churches, all of these on Indigenous land, Treaty 6. This empty church was true to itself and probably true to the neighborhood.

Now here is the clincher, my reason for some good gut laughter. The daughter of the current owners of that church building has begun a "fundraiser through Facebook." 😕 Oh my, in that latest blog I ranted and raved with righteous indignation at these modernish fundraisers with new names cropping up regularly in those stupid social-media pages! Well here is one, a totally spirit-led christian response to a misdemeanor among them. This is modern and it is good! With this fundraiser a community has opportunity for reparations to damage likely inflicted by the children of some of them! I visualize the vandals themselves with opportunity to donate - perhaps even involved in some putty-scraping windows repair! Thy will be done, O Lord.

25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. That's a long standing message in my Bible (Galatians 5:25). I am humbled to be reminded of God's grace right here. Also, I remain still strident enough to say that Go-Fund-Me's will never replace the joy and the dignity of regular participation in personal stewardship which always blesses the community of believers. I'm guessing that's how that church was built 111 years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment