Sunday, August 8, 2021

Gone to Go Fund Me Everyone

"Where Have All the Churches Gone?" Something about my last post will not let go of my thinker.  It’s become an earworm for days now, keeping company with the ringing in my ears which has been there forever.  “Where have all the Flowers Gone,” is the Beatles’ lyrics which brought on that title, and now their graveyard answer keeps worming in – both the tune and the further thoughts.

I’ve been writing considerably about lifestyle of late. And, as promised when I first got into blogging, the writing is in strident style, with some occasional edge to it. I have reached the stage in life where I ‘says it as I sees it’ rather than make too much effort at apple polishing. So even as the Beatles’ answer “Gone to Graveyards Everyone” joins the ringing in my ears, my committee meetings and my conversations continue. Nope, not quite a recluse just yet! Still there are things to think about and things to do! 😇

How does one envision, plan, communicate, and fundraise for church work? It used to be that once the gathered sisters and brothers were agreed on certain program items along with annual budget implications we would set ourselves to the task. Sometimes toward year’s end a quick overview and reminder from the treasurer would hasten some of the slackers and voila, good news, budget met no problem, cheerful givers even (2 Corinthians 9:7).  I wish I could say that is how we still do things. It is not. These days we are devoid of clean annual packages like that. At best the package comes in two-week increments. Corona has moved us even further down a pattern we were already into. Media provides us with almost daily official variations (variants?) of news feed regulations seemingly to help us be safe with or safe from one another, and this often complicated by social media commentary.  And then to add a little spice, some within the faith communities have added their own righteous interpretations, providing both embarrassment and/or inspiration for everyone.

The shorter the time increments, the greater the uncertainty, the greater the vulnerability to the ‘lesser motives’ of individualism.  In the epistle of James we are cautioned about our own desire, “being lured and enticed by it; 15 then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin (1:14,15). These days we are in danger of losing the long range vantage of God’s love and care for all of creation and all of us created beings. Survival and profiteering is still in! At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old fashioned retired preacher I cannot but point out the danger of cowtowing to the latest ‘effective’ methods of doing things. My recent experience has been that even among fellow church members, while meeting persons from other cultures new ministry possibilities come along, and are met with caution, with careful scrutiny and even avoidance - even suggestion that perhaps we try some initial fundraising via Go-Fund-Me.  Hmm, my inner spirit cannot go there! Might we also consider investing in the new opportunities for relationships and ministry coming our way? Even if social media fundraising might work I still find it questionable and opportunistic, closely akin to the scams and bitcoin indulgences that hit the junk box on my iPhone.

I understand. It’s the new thing. Most of the publicity in our web-based church communiques have the same new tone. I just completed registering for a conference Webinar (free of charge). I had not even completed the several id spaces and a donate button was looking me in the face. I do not mind donating to this worthy cause, but why do I need to feel guilty before I have even filled in the … registration form?  Recent fundraisers for tried and true causes like our reputable Mennonite world relief organization, for our Canadian church conference, or for our provincial church camp have appeared as golf tournaments, hike-a-thons, trivial pursuits, family feuds, etc. etc. Interestingly (and probably fortunately) missionaries’ communique letters are still in vogue, and yes, also providing the monthly donation buttons almost exactly like the political party I support. 

Gone to Graveyards? Gone to Go-Fund-Me’s? My hope and my trust is still in resurrection, in miracle giving if you will. Our efforts, our most effective strategies are merely  strategies if they not be the work of the Lord (1 Corinthians 15:58). Even the Beatles, those famous precocious Liverpool boys, had another line in that song, "When will they ever learn?"

Luke 6:38 "give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment