Sunday, August 22, 2021

Mennonite Muslim Conversation

Time moves on and on. I have been reading somewhat sentimentally last couple of days.  I could not pass over this article I wrote some years ago - rendered especially meaningful given that our cross-cultural expert, Mrs Donna Entz,director of North Edmonton Ministry, has retired.  Relationships require meeting with one another, and if we do not know one another very well yet, the occasions of meeting need to be quite well planned. I commend this to our corporate memory as our journey continues.

May 15, 2013

 Mennonite Muslim Conversation

The article is to be brief, just a page sharing my impressions of the May 11 Saturday morning Muslim – Mennonite conversation. However, five days later this memorable event has not ceased to churn out ever new impressions. In the interest of brevity therefore, I will merely list some of the first impressions, and then be happy to expand or continue conversation on any of these items – in whatever other forum might be desirable.

My first impression was one of relief.  I entered the assembly room at Edmonton First Mennonite along with approximately 70 others – full house. Even among greetings and hugs there was a beautiful variety of colors and garb and languages.

2. Secondly, thanks to some coaching from Loren & Donna Entz, and some strategic ushering, we were spared the ‘swarming urge’ (sitting with your buddies), meaning that each table contained a nice mix of Mennonites and Muslims.

3. I was fascinated to note the influence of the presence of Imam Dr. Usama Al-Atar.  For example, after I was introduced to one of my table mates, my new friend noticed the esteemed presence at another table nearby. He promptly walked over to respectfully greet the leader - one hand upon his heart – and then back to continue cordial conversation at our table.  Obviously he could not even think of casual table chat without first taking care of protocol.  Deference to leaders or elders, I’m afraid, has gone missing for many years in our circles.

4. What a difference a good MC makes.  Miriam Gross did us proud in her cheerful, articulate and very well detailed presence at the microphone.

5.  Something about the message.  In his presentation, the Amim Dr. Usama was incredibly gracious, but the content of his presentation on Compassion also contained some pointed and instructive words, probably meant as a teaching for his people the Muslims as well as us Christians.  Who of us has heard a sermon recently about teaching manners to our children?  Amen. Preach it brother!

6.   I also recognized and finally came to appreciate a communication/ministry strategy which had already been operative in two previous days.  Jonathan Bornman had made extensive use of books written and materials prepared by his mentor Dr. David Shenk who was not present. Suddenly I got it! This was not laziness or lack of preparation on Jonathan’s part, but actually evidence of careful preparation - very important in learning to understand and communicate with traditions with high regard for elders! This practice is foreign to us in our egocentric ambitious academic and business environments, even though our Bible provides a good corrective. Jesus had disciples. The Apostle Paul worked with Silas, Barnabas, John Mark, Timothy, etc.

There is much more, but with these early impressions I rest my case.  I am now reading David Shenk’s, Journeys of the Muslim Nation and the Christian Church (Herald Press, 2003).  Anybody interested in forming a study group?

No comments:

Post a Comment