Thursday, March 26, 2020

Truckstop Worship

This morning I attended a chapel service at TA truck stop in Gary, IN. The scripture was Rom 13:1-7 (Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities…..) and my guard came up immediately, not quite ready to hear yet another Americanized version of the ‘gospel’ in this election year. Surprise folks, this lay Baptist preacher laid it out clear and profoundly for this congregation of truckers, security personnel and a couple of locals perhaps of no fixed address. He told us that God’s order (I quibble with him theologically) is not to be questioned. When a government gets elected they become ministers of God (good biblical illustrations like King Nebuchadnezzar in OT cleaning up on God’s unfaithful people, the Israelites 2 Kings 24ff, etc). Then he drove home the point to ALL of us, “what business do we have criticizing and arguing about politics and work – or lack thereof – everything under the sun IF WE DO NOT PRAY FOR AND HONOR THOSE WHO ARE CHARGED WITH ORDERING THE LAND?” He spoke fearlessly and selflessly, assuring us that the only REAL leader and real satisfaction is available thru God’s Son Jesus Christ. He was indeed the bearer of Good News for all of us (yup he concluded with the hope of the lion and the lamb eating and lying together, Isa. 11:6).
I found myself very grateful for the blessing which I received from a local preacher in this unexpected location sometimes referred to as the hell hole of the U.S. I thanked him for his anointed ministry of the morning. I did not bother to engage him in a theological critique of the faith or unfaith stance of those governing authorities. I walked away giving thanks to God for providing the nurture and the guidance which I needed on this day – no more and no less.
… 7 years later
Quite a few years later and I am grateful for that particular morning in Chicago in 2012. I still have the theological reservations which I identified there, and also gratitude for the openness and the grace I demonstrated that morning to hear the message for all those gathered that day.
Today’s 2019 setting reminds me, reminds us still, to pray for governing authorities and also obey – as far as our faith in God allows! Today I pray for Christians facing that very same tension in Hong Kong!

No comments:

Post a Comment