Thursday, March 26, 2020

A Possibility of Sleep

Tonight we had a Maunday Thursday service in our church. It was a modest version with lots of prayers, some silent reflection, and of course Apostles Creed, Lords Prayer, etc. Several times I received some jabs at left side of rib cage. It was my wife lovingly helping me not to disturb fellow worshipers with my deep breathing – ie wake up honey!

Our pastor just wrote about the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France. Main point being that worship is more than a building – especially true for us Mennonites not known for glamorous architecture.

Seems to me, however – and this is my main point – that Holy Week can be celebrated in simple circles or in ornate cathedrals. Sleep or sleepiness is possible in either setting. The true meaning of Holy Week can be grasped wherever, whenever - and this is not a sleepy idea! Jesus suffered, and he was resolute and realistic about the consequences of his life and teachings. “Lord Jesus Christ son of God, have mercy on me a sleepy sinner.  And please have mercy upon most easter egg easter bunny people, hardly thinking of the passion, the dying which preceded Easter Sunday”.

Holy Week. Been there, but He done that. No time for sleeping, regardless of the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment