Saturday, September 16, 2023

A Topic

It is easier to talk about things and about other people than it is to speak with those others. These words recently spoken by one of my friends older and more experienced than I. He said it with a little smile and even a twinkle in his eye. The occasion of those words was simply near end of a conversation we had been having, good intentions and all, about a dilemma both of us obviously aware a ‘little more’ was needed to address it properly. These are good words from my elderly friend, also words easier to write about than put into practice.

I have a neighbor who comes to mind. Our lives have crossed and intertwined for thirty plus years. We have helped each other build fences, cut down trees, and many chit chats in the back alley between our properties. About three years ago his lawn suddenly went into disrepair and lapsed into a slightly ragged look, totally uncharacteristic of this my friend. So one day after ringing his doorbells several times, no answer, I went into neighbor mode, grabbed my rake and tools and began to scratch around on his grass determining this to be my job, given the history we already shared. Wrong!! He stormed out of his house and told me to go mind my own goddamn business. My sputtering responses wondering if they were okay, etc. not even answered. My poking in his lawn was offensive, seemed not to be understood. He cannot face me now. We have not spoken since. I grieve our lapsed relationship every day. Something gone wrong. I spare you my speculations.

I think of my recent blogpost “When I don’t Write” – and the thoughtful responses from several of you. In that post I made case for laying off the verbiage a bit, give it a break, also realizing that that is but for a time. Indeed further thinking brings to mind the Old Testament wisdom  saying, "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3:1). With time moving along things change. There is a time to write but the writing (blogs in this case) not the full extant either. Even as I said then, writing is more than making good sentences. To sit here at my laptop and type away is to make it a topic. Topics garner opinions, and opinions in and of themselves not the whole picture.

Media (especially social media) is an especial illustration of incomplete communication. Not only incomplete, but divisive, especially if worded in hyperbole – negatively or cynically – yielding usually an equal and opposite response. Right, we are still in opinions! Enter journalists, and the reading populace and the coffee shop and watering holes. By now it is a mixture of entertainment and even bullying as sometimes the person with the loudest voice or best joke wins the round. And yes journalists capitalize on this trend, making their hefty wage fueling these fires of half-truths and strong opinions. Nothing new, that danger has always been, Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark (James 3:5). Yes, most of our light reading or listening is treated to at least a liberal or a conservative version of opinion, my city of Calgary with at least two firestarters. Choose your gospel for the day; Rick Bell entertains the rednecks and Don Braid the progressives (as liberal as Alberta will tolerate)! They are both interesting writers and both have their on days and off days.

To write or not to write, to speak or not to speak. Occasions or incidents can so easily become mere topics, and topics run even farther afield of communication, to say nothing of the truth. At this point it’s important to me (writing from my faith vantage obviously) to pause and reflect on how I, or any of us reading here, practice a faith that believes in God/Creator/Allah. This morning my wife and I read from James chapter 2, our morning read. What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? (:14). The topic was actually about deeds, or physical acts of compassion which need to show up as evidence of our faith. I posit that these good deeds, important as they are, need to come out of an inner spirit that is empowered, enabled by the very God we have faith in. And that is more than opinions or topics so readily peddled. As I have said many times previously, God is beyond all this and also beyond description, beyond words or explanation and certainly beyond the myriads of Christian denominations either blossoming or dying these days. Recently I heard the best sermon I have heard in years, perhaps the most forthright ever. It came from someone not of my tradition, most profoundly a man of faith and undeniable confidence. Here is a brief quote.

I am greatly concerned that so many people seem to believe that it is completely acceptable to condemn,

malign, and vilify anyone who does not agree with them.

Many seem eager to damage another's reputation with pathetic and pithy barbs.

Anger never persuades. Hostility builds no one.

Contention never leads to inspired solutions.

Regrettably, we sometimes see contentious behavior even within our own ranks. We hear of those who belittle their spouses and children,

of those who use angry outbursts to control others,

and of those who punish family members with the silent treatment.

We hear of youth and children who bully

and of employees who defame their colleagues.

My dear brothers and sisters, this should not be.

As disciples of Jesus Christ,

we are to be examples of how to interact with others,

especially when we have differences of opinion.[i]

So said Dr. Nelson, current President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The respected teachings of this notable modern day Prophet are pastoral and biblical. While I do not concur with the extra-biblical sourcing of this faith community, I fully concur with this sermon, a message for all people, quoting Jesus from the Holy Bible in support of his words. Especially significant is his appeal to a universal civility, directed to the temple faithful which in fact becomes a message also to any of us who wish to hear (Yes it is in public domain). How do we speak of theology, of politics, of relational and family problems, and other faith traditions? The title of this sermon was “Peacemakers Needed.” Needless to say this title drew immediate attention from this peace church preacher! 😏 Within our ranks and in many others, we are progressives, liberals, conservatives, or heathen (at least as per the labels we tag on each other). Can we give heed to the message of Jesus spoken here? This is a message for all. With help from this elder Prophet (he’s 99 years old) I ask myself and all of us: Are we political or theological topics or are we a community? We definitely need each other.

Come to think of it, perhaps one of these days an opportunity will come for me to tell my neighbor about this head of the 'Mormon church' who recently told his people and all of us that we need to be peaceable in relating to one another. Wouldn’t it be nice then if this Mennonite and this Anglican could have some chuckles about that and then just plain old get back on speaking terms?



[i]Dr. Russell M. Nelson, “Peacemakers Needed,” General Conference, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, April 2, 2023.

 

4 comments:

  1. Always inspired by your writing Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, that is profound stuff going on in your mind. Thanks for sharing some of it with us readers! PJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. And pray for me that my mind doesn't get bloated with these encouraging comments. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete