Monday, June 6, 2022

Kids With Manners

I had an interesting learning experience this weekend. My wife’s sister and husband were in Calgary to watch some kids’ hockey. Their son and his young eleven year-old were coming together with a whole hockey team to compete in a weekend round robin tournament. It was kind of a rare occasion for us, especially with our grandchildren heavily involved in all things Ontario, so ... promise of a unique special weekend for us. We were happy to spectate my very longtime favorite sport even if only at kids level. 

Now here was the surprise, the unanticipated pleasure. Although my almost daily hockey diet includes some of the world’s best like Edmonton Oilers and Colorado Avalanche, I immediately became fascinated by the very good hockey being played right before our eyes. These kids know how to skate! They have had some coaching, know where to pass the puck and occasionally score goals! I began to enthuse, verbalizing my appreciation for the quality of play I was watching; not so big a deal seemingly to my brother-in-law and the spectators around me, obviously parents and/or other relatives of other players more interested in whether son or daughter was playing to capacity and whether their team was winning or not! Right, I remember that too. My dad always had a few suggestions after my hockey games too!

My fascination with the tournament nonetheless continued into next day; we watched two games and then participated with some of the families in some evening swimming pool fun at the team hotel. My good opinion of these players continued. They spoke politely to adults, answered questions clearly and of course appreciated comments coming from this old grandpa-type. They were so eager to talk about their game. One boy shared his sadness about his goal not having counted, which I remembered seeing too, apparently one of their players in goal crease. It was an error of the referee, and I so sympathized with him 😌. 

Now my learning experience. As most of my readers know by now my thinker usually kicks in. I was impressed not only by the quality of on-ice hockey, but the clear eyes and respectful conversation of the whole group. I confess I have become a bit inattentive to kids sports in the last number of years, a bit dismissive possibly because these activities are accessible only for kids with rich parents. That is true, but full credit must go to these parents of means who invest in the required discipline of early bedtimes, early get-ups, practicing, listening to coaches, and the huge miracle of teamwork. These are valuable life lessons so important these days. If they do not learn it in organized sports their wonderful energy can waste away in front of televisions or video games. These are probably the only ones who make it to professional sport (unfortunately).

Needless to say the age of these kids was a bit of a gimme. Eleven year-olds are in that prepubescent age where the comments and opinion of adults are still quite important to them. It was such a pleasure to be in presence of kids and parents (and grandparents) obviously on same page on that one. Looking back at a considerable stretch of parenting I am under no illusions of course - and neither are the readers here - but there is a sizable Life lesson available for us all. Once upon a time many years ago I was a Bible School student, and one of the Bible verses assigned and duly memorized comes to mind. My brain has it in the old King James Version, but the New International Version puts it like this. Even with slightly changed linguistics I like it a lot.

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it (Proverbs 22:6).

And about those professional teams referenced above. Sigh! The better team won and will go on to Stanley Cup finals. Sigh again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment