Friday, April 30, 2021

Sleeping in Fresno

Tonight I met a new friend. He is a young man recently returned from a little adventure "pursuing dreams in California," as he put it. "And Corona brought him back," says his mother lovingly. "We're so glad he's here with us." There's a story there I can tell; later. Strange encounter, these people I met recently on one of my many walks in our community.  Yes, by now I know a fair number of people, most of us on the common topic of the things we do with ourselves while Corona does its thing. We seem to be a neighborhood in the making.

Anyway, about tonight's new friend, along with parents and siblings all out for an evening walk. And his father is a preacher! Later sitting at my computer there is something about that conversation which still has me thinking (Yes the thinker again 😏). I am reminded of another friend. This guy went to Fresno, CA to get some education. The locals in our church of course thinking that must be a good and a desirable place to get educated. Little did they know that in that California town interesting other things also have been happening, like an economy that was tanking! I am reminded of a pleasant summer evening in that very town, and even then (2010), this trucker already observed the big cities (eg L.A. and San Fran) coming to small towns. The face of the good life, the face of adventures, of education seemed to be changing even then.

September 28, 2010               

HE SLEEPS

There he slouches on a bench right beside front door of the restaurant.  Head tilted at a strange angle and mouth agape, this guy is gone to the world. He sleeps. Middle class customers walk by as they enter and exit, children make the giggly comments, hookers walk by on the street, waitresses take the occasional look at the ‘guy outside’.

It’s a fine autumn evening; the weather allows for activity like this.  Inside the restaurant my waiter’s comment, however, adds a bit of extra perspective. “Welcome to Fresno’s recession, up close and personal”, he says somewhat cheerfully as he brings my coffee.  His words are probably an accurate description of what’s going on in many places these days.  It seems as though the world of the unfortunates is coming closer.  Hookers are more daring and no longer stay in the dark back alleys, offering their wares almost at the front door of trendy even-if fast food restaurants. Even among the busy renovating restaurants and businesses there is also evidence of others standing empty or closed down. I’m straying.

This guy sleeping; what’s his story?  Is he married, divorced, or widowed?  Does he have children?  Do those children wonder where their daddy is?  Or I shudder at another possibility; do they maybe not care? Has he had a good life and lost it all? Or has ill health or addiction and lack of discipline caught him up in this compromised position? He is weary and beyond caring what he looks like tonight. Still, he does not appear to be a down and out tough guy.

This seems to be a new scene, beginning of a new trend? Undeniably it happened right before my eyes tonight. On the other hand, this is nothing new.  Martin Luther, a 16th Century reformer, once saw a similar situation, and noting a tramp, said to the person beside him, “There but for the grace of God, go I”.  1 Cor 10:12 also comes to mind, and at the very least I confess it totally applies to me, “So if you think you are standing, watch out that you do not fall”.  

Hmm, now that I think about it some more I realize I need some info, maybe even some fellowship, with that tramp.  Maybe he is also middle-class fallen on hard times. Stranger things than that have happened. Maybe he and I are/were almost in the same boat.  If he’s still hanging around there tomorrow morning, I shall strike up a conversation!  

Hmm, and now ten years later, from deep within a Corona crisis I realize I would still enjoy conversation with that front entrance sleeper. How you doing man? Is that one of your daughters out there? Or what's up? Me, I was a preacher and I needed some open road. And from thereon conversation would have been high quality. 😀 Last week even in this year 2021 I heard the perspective of a homeless guy in this my 'big city'. He is part of my life even as that California guy back there was part of my life. I find their stories usually a bit more interesting than the common menu of sports, politics or other bs coming from the paying customers. It's the other side of life.

And now back to my new young friend recently returned from his 'vision quest'. Next time our paths cross I shall yet ask him what he found in California.  And soon also I shall ask the studying one, my pastor, if he found anything else interesting in that California college town in transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment