Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Prayers in a Bowl

The twenty-four elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. (Revelation 5:8)

“God cherishes our prayers.”  It was said in a matter-of-fact way, obviously coming from a person who fully believes it.  And it was in response to another within our group wondering about the significance of that phrase, those golden bowls full of the prayers (Bowls of prayers. 😊 That image even caused some chuckles in our circle). These comments were our thoughts and reflections which we are privileged to share with one another after the scripture readings of the Daily Prayers.  As I have mentioned in several previous posts, this is a ‘Coronavirus program adjustment’ made in my Area Church – an opportunity to log in and hear a prerecorded hymn and hear some daily scriptures and then pray silently in a quiet orderly way.  That’s it! No bright theological theories, no discussions or speeches; just read and pray and be with one another.  No need to massage egos; just focus on God together with the others logged in. For myself this has become the most life-giving of routines I have adopted since the onslaught of Coronavirus.  In addition to my routine of walking and some online study courses, this opportunity for scripture reading and silent prayers is a lifeline for this retired workaholic.

So now this simple statement about us and our prayers.  In recent blogposts, both mine and several colleagues/friends, I note considerable written about insights that come from books read, family circumstances, coronavirus activities, and (at least in my case) interfaith political implications.  I read very little about how God might feel.  I admit that is an awkward topic for me also, because I know not much about it. So, I'd rather not expend too much energy trying to sort that out!  I emerged from seminary an historical theologian at best – one who only dares to speak of God as a God who Acts (cf. George Ernest Wright).  Mostly I pay heed to the things that seem to be evidence of God's presence and God's doing as revealed to us in the scriptures and in our community (Hermeneutic community, us Anabaptists call it).  Needless to say I have not heard many (?) sermons about God's feelings and none about prayers in a bowl! Perhaps my colleagues and I have shortchanged the people a bit.

According to some notes in my study Bible, these prayer bowls are thought of as being presented to God by angels, in mercy and grace. The imagery is both Greek and Hebrew, suggesting to me that the saints are not necessarily restricted to only one culture. And noticeably, these are prayers, not lectures. I'm afraid we are still quite addicted to the explainers rather than the pray-ers.  We engage academics and scholars to speak about what’s happening or not happening in the church – often complete with explanations about other periods in history when same thing happened. And so denominations get explained to us, environmentalist Christians explain the importance of honoring the earth along with our Creator God, social activists harbor about poverty even though the poor have always been with us, colonialists defend their right to land, dispensationalists explain how seasons unfold according to 'the plan', apocalypticists prattle about this pandemic which was predicted by so and so and the end is now, and atheists laugh at us poor souls just hanging on to straws. Each of these perspectives may drive us to many seminars and learning activities, protests or whatever, perhaps to help us feel better (or worse) about ourselves. But how about God? How about relationship with God?

In a recent devotional my wife and I read about the mighty Creator who “knows the names of each of us” … and rejoices with a remnant of the people of Israel returning …"will take great delight in you ... will rejoice over you with singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17). Rejoice! (Vol 56, No 3, 2021). It is at end of the Old Testament that God’s happiness is highlighted. This goes on to become the New Testament story; God in Jesus come among us (John 1:14) - the one who also knows the name of each of us (Matthew 10:30).  This is such very good news. 😑

God cherishes my prayers? This is probably consistent with a feeling God. And then there's the old adage we don't hear much about any more - personal relationship with God.  It bears thinking about in a new way; old thoughts, new contexts. I am becoming acquainted with many Muslims in this our urban abode. Muslims pray more than most of us Christians, but do not presume upon a personal relationship with Allah.  They have a master-servant works relationship, and depending upon the country of practice, they are subservient to the mullahs. While denying a possibility of relationship with Allah, much attention is given to the teachings of Jesus and other prophets. Religious experts study the Quran and explain the teachings, including the authority to enforce. In some countries (Iran for example) they are the Supreme authorities - Ayatollahs. As Christians we claim that a divine personal relationship with God is possible and available through none other than Jesus. When I committed my life to Jesus as an Old Colony Mennonite teenager the terminology was "personal savior;" no more works-righteousness as per my O.C. legalisms, but 'saved by grace.' Even though I did not feel an immediate change of persona, I began to claim a peacefulness about a public declaration made - and that followed shortly by baptism, and further learning and education on what that might mean for my life.  Differences and similarities about personal relationship with God (evangelical Christians) and the works - righteousness of the O.C. and Islam is not lost on me. I think about that even from my vantage as a born again Christian.

Today many years later, I find myself freshly attracted to that throne room Revelation image. Even this year, 2021, as I also listen daily to Prayercast, praying for Muslims during this month of Ramadan, I cannot but feel a kinship with them. It would be so good if only they could recognize the grace - Divine Grace - available in Jesus the Christ. Yet, there is a kinship with those who pray humbly and systematically, prayers much different but perhaps also similar to those prayers I memorized as a little Old Colony boy (Unser Vater in dem Himmel...). I'm wondering whether in God's great mercy their prayers may also be included in those bowls at the end of time. 

At the very least, I am a proponent for Daily Prayer, available two mornings and two evenings a week for anyone anywhere who cares to log in. mcab.ca/events.  No speeches; just prayers. 

Postscript which must be included after my participation tonight, May 4, 2021, in a very touching, inspiring, and enlightening Learning Event by Canadian Council of Churches on The Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Bill C-15.  My oversight, I should also have referenced the smudge bowl used whenever our Indigenous brothers and sisters begin sacred ceremonies praying God's holy infilling. May those prayers also be included in the bowls at the end of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment