Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Holy Week Battle

Holy Week has a bit of a hold on me.  This week just before Easter with its ominous music and myriads of memories has also a tinge of celebrativeness to it.  A bit like Christmas, but in my mind even more important.  Not everybody seems to agree with me on this.  My perspective has its beginning probably because I grew up in the Old Colony Church where form and tradition was the reality.  Easter, Christmas, and Pentecost each had three days of celebration - first, second, and third heilgetag, all three complete with mandatory church services, except in our home my parents becoming a bit free thinking declared 'third holiday' was optional.  So three times a year we had three days of holiday!  You just knew something important had happened somewhere.  Easter was the heavy-weight in my mind because it was preceded by Stille Freitag - quiet Friday, when Jesus had died! Even our farmyard Easter Egg hunts in the cool spring mornings had an air of reverence about them.

Alongside these traditions there was also the exploration of large questions, at least for an inquisitive one like me, so said my dad.  I had questions like who is God and how does one become a Christian and why is this spoken about kind of differently in the various churches in our mostly Mennonite community?  Some of those churches gave greater attention to my personal faith experience than on how many holidays were deemed appropriate or necessary.  I soon opted for this more personalized approach, no surprise to my parents.  That of course became my mode operandi as I entered Bible College, University, summer jobs, ever since.

So it is that this ever-querying young adult student, needing summer employment, repeatedly got involved in the world of trucks and even after the eventual call to pastoral ministry, several extended periods in long-haul transportation.  In that secular world I would always make every effort to get Easter off.  Deep down in my soul this was important to me.  My faith then and now includes much thoughtfulness about Jesus in the Good Friday Easter event.  Many conversations with fellow evangelicals, in church or in trucking circles, would of course celebrate that God is available equally each and every day, no need for special days or times or seasons. It even says so in the Bible (Galatians 4:10).  Yes, true, but ... nonetheless. Nonetheless.

Looking back now, I can see that my faith journey, including the education years, the clinical training, the ministry positions and, yes the trucking years, has always had a need of the Church Year.  In my pastoral ministry I always preferred lectionary-based worship rather than sermon series, or even worse, pastors' hobby horses.  It is within the long distance truck trips - home away from home - that I realized my christian commitment has its source in Jesus and undeniably what was endured and accomplished during this week of all weeks.

Just yesterday, in Facebook conversation with a friend, I responded to her sharing of a link, "Largest Choir Ever to sing Hallelujah Chorus."  My thumbs-up response including comment  "He shall reign forever and ever!" was met with her suddenly au contraire reply, "Well if that's your paradigm, I guess so".  Shocked was I. Why forward a holy item like this and then disown it?  Needless to say that was followed with some exchange, and then dropped.  I realized she is unmoved by that which moves me.

This reminds me of another incident two months ago.  I had made application to a seminary to pursue some post-grad studies (Yes, this workaholic still having a little retirement problem).  Application submitted along with lots of supportive documents, and then 'Admittance Interview', which I bombed!  I was unable to engage the interviewers in the research project which I had envisioned - a study of Messiah Search in Judeo-Christian, Muslim, and Indigenous.  In hindsight I realize I was perhaps too enthused about the idea and also too grandiose.  However, in my mind the needed refinement and adjustments could commence with the help of a faculty advisor.  Instead they switched me off because it "sounded like a sermon".  Aah I'm still wondering whether they have listened to any sermons recently.

Religion and faith practice in today's society must be non-judgmental, open-minded and inclusive.  Inter faith education and dialogue is essential for civilized beings.  However, I also am learning that our dialogues or ecumenical events cannot merely be an agreement to be nice or academic and meet in the nether middle somewhere.  Nope!  Quality inter-relationships always depend on participants fully 'owning' what they believe.  I have Muslim friends who are shocked at our Santa Clauses and Easter Eggs and commercialized 'holy' weekends. My understanding of God-among-us religion hinges on an experience with the One who did Holy Week.  Not easily done away with!

My wife and I have disagreements, and sometimes even arguments, during our morning Bible read.  Apparently I get too excited about an insight or inspiration and then don't leave room for her pondering. This happens!  Different personalities, male - female, we encounter God in different ways, as do many denominations within the Christian faith.  At the same time, I believe it behooves us that it's not just a matter of discussing religion in a nice quiet manner.  Holy Week is case in point. Once upon a time Jesus walked the lonely Passion. To ignore that is to lose the essence.

I learned that in a very traditional church when I was a kid.  I still need Holy Week, and so do all my post-modern peers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment