Thursday, January 21, 2021

A Possibility of Civility

It is the morning after the day before.  Yesterday my wife and I were glued to several of our devices, radio, or television, most comments of the day related to what was going on at inauguration of the new president, Joseph R. Biden, 46th president of that neighbor to the south of us, United States of America.  Most memorable now in my mind, is not the good speech by Mr. Biden, not the swearing in ceremony itself, or the endless commentary about the mammoth security presence, but a simple incident, a ceremonial walk down the steps of the U.S. Capitol, Vice-President Kamala Harris and her husband, and former Vice-President Mike Pence and his wife walking down to the motorcade.  As they walked down that long stately flight of stairs which only two weeks ago bore up the unruly mobs rioting, there was a silence - quiet observation of four people walking together - former president Trump slunk away to Florida because he could not endure the humiliation of a new president sworn in, and Biden allowing the walk to be taken by the two VP's, the ones who could at least stand being in each other's presence.  It was quiet, touching, and then they stopped.  Yes, halfway down before getting into duly appointed cars, they stopped and must have had a little chat - maybe about the weather, or one of their kids, or perhaps even some particular idiosyncrasies of their bosses?  😆  And then they doubled over in laughter!  Whatever it was, it spelled relief, nationwide relief; four persons perhaps accidentally, but humanely demonstrating a possibility of life continuing even after the acrid animosity which had divided a nation in half during this latest debacle of an election.

Interesting things about this election.  Even from the vantage of this country to the north I recall several dinnertime conversations with guests in our home which became arguments complete with eventual anxious declarations of friendship which hopefully would survive the disagreement of this visit! I marvel at how us Canadians, christian Canadians even, could get so embroiled in the affairs of a nation being mauled by an egocentric narcissistic president (I admit this statement almost got me killed several times this past year).  Perhaps Mr Pence and Ms Harris had shared a joke about the idiocy of us all!  At any rate, we breathe again.

I wish the pundits, the talking heads, the high-salaried journalists, the business executives, the politicians beholden to a narrow self-centred electorate, could just take a break for a few days.  Allow us to breathe, give Donald Trump a couple days with his wife uninterrupted by assistants and whatever it is rich people do.  Allow a nation to regain civility; allow a new President to go about the business of beginning a presidency, organizing office in a normal manner.  Perhaps our disagreements (please Premier Kenny, Alberta) can be addressed without grandstanding.  It would be nice to see.

I am reminded of Margaret Atwood, sharp tongued and witty Canadian novelist who recently quipped in Sojourners, a Washington based Christian magazine I have subscribed to for decades.  Writing to her American friends she said, “We in Canada watched your election with nail-biting intensity, getting the cups of tea ready for an influx of refugees from south of the border.”  Thankfully, she says, that won’t be necessary just yet. What they have done, she says, is elected themselves an Ice Captain, Joe Biden, someone to manage the way station.  “Now there’s a breathing space….Bottle of water, snack, pats on the back from encouraging bystanders, and then off you’ll go again, long-distance runners.” (Sojourners, Jan. 2021).  Ms Atwood is sharp, and her books are popular.  I'm not sure she has it quite right, but close. My hope, as I also breathe a little easier, is that those of us watching, especially if we claim to be  people of faith - christian or other, whether American, Canadian, or wherever ... that we may recognize the importance of communities of believers which could easily transcend borders if we but allow it.  And I delight in leaders who can laugh with one another.

People of faith have a responsibility to recognize the humanness of those across the isle in our parliament or senate chambers, and for all of us it is good to recognize the truth as presented in our Bible.   Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.  (Romans 13:1) and also a Statute of Limitations 😉  Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” (Mark 12:17).


4 comments:

  1. Very good sir. Still,I wonder what is Romans 13:1 about? If I was an American or an Albertan what my responsiblity to be a one of the "goveren-ed a Trump or a Kenney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops,I meant ..."goveren-ed by a Trump or ...."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, and thanks for that query. I was hoping somebody might ... This is a recent perspective from yours truly. If I am a person of faith I have a responsibility to the leader, whether a Trump or a Kenny to pray for them, recognizing the huge responsibility they are tasked with. I obey them as far as I can - as far as my faith in God allows. If there is a discord - if the law of the 'land' violates then I must do what my faith requires (eg Anabaptists 16th Century, eg Moravians, eg South Sudanese Christians violated by the African Government. They struggle with PTSD coming here as refugees. It is the responsibility for Christians here to think of them as neighbors within the household of faith. Similarly even if I prayed for Trump while he violated children coming from Mexico or South, it is also my job to do what I can to inform govt of my concern for christian charity. Its not only you and your prayers; it's us and our prayers together. Sorry, I got going here a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have referenced the Mark 12:7 when I responded to you last night. Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

    ReplyDelete